Is it Possible to Interact Directly With the ML Algorithms without Wrapping an Object Around Your Data?

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Is there a way to pass a 2 dimensional array instead of a set of objects to build my model? I'd like to create an excel plug-in where the user can pass in a range of cells to train a model, as well as specify a second range that needs to be categorized/regressed/clustered, but I can't tell how many features there are per observation. That makes it difficult to create a container object ahead of time.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM

The challenge here is that these algorithms require a fixed number of features when training. I will think about this...

You can definitely just pass vectors and matrices to these things without the explicit object->vector conversion. We should chat!

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I'm not sure I follow your comment about the fixed number of features. I wouldn't need to change the dimensions after I start training, I just can't tell what the features are going to be ahead of time. Is there a way to create dynamic objects?

I'd love to see an example of passing a matrix without first converting from an object.

Coordinator
May 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I am finally doing this. I completely agree.